Alternative accommodations, also known as short-term rentals, homeshares, or vacation rentals, aren’t a brand-new concept. But in recent years, they’ve become increasingly popular and ubiquitous throughout the U.S., thanks to new tech platforms such as Airbnb, HomeAway, and FlipKey.
While the growth of these platforms has enabled the alternative accommodations market to flourish not only in the U.S., but around the world, their popularity is also raising a number of questions: What kind of impact are these rentals having on local housing markets? How are the platforms addressing issues of discrimination? Are they competing head to head with hotels? What other services can, or will they, provide in the future? How should they be regulated to ensure the health and safety of the hosts and guests? Should they be paying taxes?
The complex issues and questions being raised by alternative accommodations providers are proof that these businesses are no longer in their infancy, or startup stages. As Airbnb, HomeAway, FlipKey, and others enter into adolescence, they’re being confronted with the reality that there’s much more involved in enabling people to belong anywhere or live like a local.
Full List of Figures
Profiling the Alternative Accommodations Loyalist
- Share of Total HomeAway Family Web Traffic
- Age Segmentation: Respondents Loyal to Alternative Accommodations Brands
- How many leisure trips do you take every year?
- Do you currently have any of the following messaging apps installed on your smartphone? Select all that apply.
- How likely are you to use a dating app to connect with locals while traveling, either on this trip or on other trips?
- How likely are you to post regular updates and pictures of your trip on social media?
- During this particular trip. Would you say that you use social media more often or less often than when you are at home?
- During your trip, have you used any of the following apps or websites to find restaurants and places to eat?
- During your trip, did you leave an online review of a restaurant or hotel?
- Back home, how often do you use ride sharing apps such as Uber or Lyft as a mode of transportation?
- During this particular trip, have you used any of the following ride sharing apps to “get around”?
- Do you currently use any of the following smartphone apps to pay for things either online or at physical stores?
Data Dive Into Pricing and Inventory
- Number of Alternative Accommodation Listings in the Top 5 US Counties
- Number of Alternative Accommodation Listings per Platform
- Number of Alternative Accommodation Listings per 1000 Inhabitants
- Type of Airbnb listings in the Top 5 US Alternative Accommodation Markets
- Median Age of the Current Alternative Accommodation Inventory per County
- Median Age of the Current Alternative Accommodation Inventory per Region
- Median Price of the Current Alternative Accommodation Inventory per County
- Median Price for Entire Apartments in the Alternative Accommodation Scene
- Share of Luxury Alternative Accommodation Inventory per Region
- Share of Luxury Alternative Accommodation Listings per County
- Share of Luxury Alternative Accommodation Listings per Platform
New York Pricing and Inventory Deep Dive
- Interactive Map: Concentration of Listings in New York
- Interactive Map: Median Price per County in New York
Rental Platform Web Traffic Analysis
- Overview Airbnb
- Traffic Share Airbnb
- Overview Villas.com
- Traffic Share Villas.com
- Overview HomeAway
- Traffic Share HomeAway