Skift Research Take
Let’s place loyalty programs into a larger realm of technology which can improve and increase guest engagement and personalization, with all these tools working in parallel to achieve a truly loyal guest.
Not so long ago, hotel loyalty programs were front-runners in design and innovation. Today many programs have gone stale, commoditization has wreaked havoc on the perceived benefits and rewards of these programs, and the epicenter of innovation has shifted to industries like retail.
Many hoteliers today, especially those managing small to medium properties or chains, no longer look at loyalty programs as a straightforward investment. Customers have become disillusioned with programs which require major spending for limited returns, and with the growth of online travel agents, the average consumer has never been as disloyal to brands.
This report acknowledges the importance of loyalty programs for certain hotels and hotel chains, but is founded on the understanding that there are many other tools that can instill loyalty by improving service standards, providing a more personalized experience, and an increased and improved guest engagement. As these tools become more affordable they will be available to more hoteliers, vastly improving opportunities for hotels to win back the customer journey and loyal guests.
Do not expect a discussion on conversion rates, qualifying dollars, and blackout dates. Instead, this report will introduce an expanded view of the loyalty tech landscape, visualizing the vendor landscape and highlighting challenges and opportunities ahead.
What You'll Learn From This Report
- How loyalty can be defined and achieved
- How loyalty programs are changing
- How technology is used to improve guest engagement, personalization, and ultimately loyalty
- How the flywheel approach, as popularized by Amazon, should be used by hoteliers to move towards a customer-centric approach to loyalty
- What an expanded view of the loyalty tech landscape looks like, and where future opportunities lie
- David Berger – Founder and CEO at Volara
- Guy Cierzan – Managing Partner at ICF Next
- Christopher Grey – Chief Technology Officer at Intelity
- Steve Grout – Director of Loyalty at Collinson
- Dan Hang – President and COO at Revinate
- Vinson Lee – Director, Oracle CX Cloud Product Development
- Jean McPherson – Senior Solution Manager, Hotel at Oracle Hospitality
- Russell A. Meek – Senior Product Manager Property Hub and Guest Experience at Sabre
- Rémy Merckx – VP Digital at Radisson Hotel Group
- Allan Nelson – Co-Founder and CEO at For-Sight
- Frank Reeves – Co-Founder and CEO at Avvio
- Lauren Rothrock – VP of Product, Reservations and Guest Management Solutions at TravelClick
- Alex Shashou – Co-Founder and President at ALICE